Sunday, March 20, 2016

Laurel Hill Cemetery

Here we are at Laurel Hill cemetery, just a few miles up the Schuylkill River. It was founded in 1836 after a Quaker John Smith buried his young daughter and then the site couldnt be  located. So he started what eventually became 80 acres of a quiet, peaceful resting place. We dont know if any of our family is buried here. What we do know is that there is so much to learn from those who have passed before us.  
One day last week I found 15 pages with Wooly/Woolly/Wooly listings. Children and marriage of George and Elizabeth Wooley. So far I have found 8 children. I  havent been to family search yet to find out how and if they are related to Thomas and Sarah Woolley but since starting this journey through 1,500 books in Pennsylvania and reading about the settlement started by William Penn, I have pondered this idea. Cicily Wooly came over in 1683 as an indentured servant and soon after came Thomas, who married Sarah Coppack in 1729 in Christ Church. These are the only Woolley names I have found. This leads me to believe that after that date, most of the other Woolleys settling in Chester county could be related. I will continue to look for our family name through my mothers mother Celia Woolley Morrison Larson. I owe my love of the Pioneers and family history to her. She served at the Daughters of the Utah Pioneer Building for many many years.
So, why were there so many George and Elizabeth Woolleys?? I am guessing that just like today, the y were the popular names. King George and Queen Elizabeth.





This map shows how the plots of land were divided in the area around Philadelphia. William Penn set up the city with the two rivers on either side. The Delaware River being larger in where Penns landing is.


So who celebrated St. Pattys day,,ME! We are part Scot- Irish through my grandpa Morrison
 

1 comment: