Sunday, May 8, 2016

Down Memorylane in Devon, Pa.

Many years ago, our father built his dream house at 709 N Valley Forge Rd, in Devon, Pennsylvania. We had 2  1/2 acres, enough land to never loose our view of Valley Forge Park. This weekend my sister Terry came for our brother Craig's youngest son's wedding ( which will be another blog) and the next evening we went to visit our neighbors, the Jaegers.
And what a reunion we had!! 
Jim, Loraine, and Bunker Jaeger still live in the area that we grew up. Their parents, much like ours, were very social. The kids, much like us, were high energy, smart, creative, full of fun and mischief, much like us. Since I was 3 years older I was the weekly babysitter. A few highlights from those teenage years are: baking cakes and having food fights, they hypnotised me, I often slept over because the parents came in so late so the boys would roll my hair my hair in pink rollers, the mean pet monkey, Ice skating on Narrigans pond, the Redcoats (the band that went on to win battle of the bands), wrestling, ping pong, pool table, basketball, sledding down Timber Lane. I have since learned that my High school, Conestoga High continues to be highly ranked. These were the days of cutting through the neighbors yard to get home. And so we did. We left the Jaegers and went to our home. The owners were kind enough to let us into our HOME, the one our father designed and built. Too many more memories! We had many Mutual parties, birthday parties and friends over. It was the party home. 
Here is Jim and Jim visiting in the Jaeger home.

Swimming in our back yard. Recently I heard that the memory of one of Bishop Chudleigh's son, of me, is laying out in the sun, working on my tan. We had the best back yard for fun in the sun.

Bunker told me a story that I have never heard before that really touches my heart. My father was President of the Little League. Bunker was only playing 1/2 an inning. Most of the coaches put their sons and best players in all the games. Our father changed the rules which made mandatory for each athlete to play in half the game. Bunkers team went on to the play offs. 
I love that our father  made this change, even though Mark and Craig, my brothers went on to be star athletes in many different sports! 
I am indeed very thankful that my parents raised me in a home where friends felt loved, where we felt safe and the Gospel of Jesus Christ was taught.



2 comments: